Introduction

This project was born out of a sense of frustration, that hunters in the UK are so often misunderstood and misrepresented. Hunting is not a 'hobby', nor is it 'killing for fun'. It is a way of life, with its own set of beliefs and ethics rooted deep in human nature and tracing its origins back to the dawn of mankind.

It is worth clarifying here that we are talking about hunting in its broadest sense, of catching and killing wild animals and birds (usually for food), and not the narrow definition of hunting foxes with packs of hounds.

I hope that through these pages we can begin to define what makes an 'Ethical Hunter', help to promote the highest standards of ethics among hunters in the UK, and perhaps explain to non-hunters something of what Ethical Hunting is all about.

This is not a membership organisation. Nor is it a scheme of testing or certification. We will not be issuing certificates to say that Mr or Ms X is an Ethical Hunter.

This is a forum for discussion about hunting ethics and related topics. We hope to develop and agree a written code of ethics that we can all subscribe to, at which point anyone who chooses may declare their support, pledge to uphold the code, etc.

After that, who knows? It's a work in progress. If the idea interests and excites you, then please join in the discussion and help us define what 'Ethical Hunting' means to us.

Contact: info@ethicalhunters.org.uk

Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Diana the huntress



Here's an interesting perspective on women hunters, at the fascinating Ana the Imp's blog:

Daughters of Diana

I love hunting, I have since I rode to hounds for the fist time when I was twelve years old. I’ve also enjoyed a spot of rough shooting now and then, small game. It’s just a thrill; I offer no excuse or justification beyond that; I have absolutely no guilt or regrets. I like to think of myself as one of the daughters of Artemis, Diana, if you prefer, one of strigae, the wild women who followed the goddess in the hunt... [read more]

Also worth checking out is Ana's post The Devil Wears Fur.
 

1 comment:

  1. I used to hunt for the thrill, when I was under the age of ten. I guess when I am hunting ferral cats and dogs and wild boar the thrill is still there. But as you gain more experience and become a part of your enviroment, you realise that really you are just an animal yourself, and you gain a lot of respect for the wildlife around you.
    I think hunters (not shooters) have more knowledge and respect for animals than non hunters. They are a part of our life.
    There are two things a true hunter hates more than anything else, killing a female and finding an unborn inside, and wounded game getting away. Unless of course we include shooters who just don't care, that would be a third!

    ReplyDelete